Sunday 27 July 2014

Busy in a leisurely way.

As the title says, I've been busy....... not dashing about like a mad thing, but steady with little periods of sitting and contemplating.
I decided to attempt to get the shower working on Bracken. The taps work ok, as in water comes out of the shower head when turned on. The hot tap even gives out hot water, (as long as the pilot light on the Paloma  is lit first. However, the drain pump has never worked, there is no way of emptying the shower tray except with a scoop into a bucket followed by mopping with towels. Consequently I've not used it so far. Also the socket that the shower head fits into was broken and so had to be held.
Not a great hardship as the shower block in the marina is fine, and what's more they're free to use for moorers.





I started with my multimeter to ascertain that there was electrickery getting to the on/off switch in the toilet compartment.  There was.
Then checked there was power getting to the pump, again there was. I also noticed the body of the pump was very hot to the touch. Tapping the body of the pump didn't make any difference, (thought it might be 'stuck'), so time to extract the offending article and dismantle it.
The pump was situated right at the back of the sink unit, not the easiest place to reach but laying on my back with my head under the unit I was able to get at the hose connections and wiring terminal block
Pump removed, I started to dismantle it.
Oh dear, what a sorry state!
The rotor and motor armature were seized solid, and when i separated the motor from the pump body a load of gooey, rusty crud appeared.










A pretty sorry state. I've not managed to remove the pump from the rotor, it appears to be totally seized so I'll save that for another day. ( maybe a day when I've nothing better to do), I wont throw it away, 'cos you never know when it might come in use.
Fortunately I had a spare pump from the pressure system, so after changing the fittings over to screw-on I was able to install it in place.

Connected up and bingo! A working shower drain pump. The yellow pipe comes from the shower tray, and the red pipe leads to the skin fitting out through the hull.
Next job to fix a socket on the riser rail for the handset to fit into.



A  trip to B & Q at Cannock where I bought  a  Mira handset socket and a length of chromed copper pipe of  22 mm diameter. I cut a length off the chromed pipe to the same length of the present riser rail and slid it over the old rail. That way the new Mira socket  would fit on the old riser rail. It works anyway, and I've had several successful showers since. :)

Jenny came up for breakfast bacon butties this morning, and the doting parents brought their offspring round. Its all part of the training on how to beg the most grub by looking really appealing. Seems to work for them, they got through half a bag of duck and swan treats food!




I need to return to Kent tomorrow to continue disposing of my furniture in preparation for moving aboard Bracken. So see you in a couple of weeks or so when I bring another car load of possessions up.





No comments:

Post a Comment