Sunday 7 December 2014

Time ticks by, life is good.

Saturday eve. 7th Dec.

Hello people, sorry its been a while since my last post. Just living from day to day seems to take up my time, and these dark days and afternoons seem to cut down the amount of usable time each day to the point where you think wow is it that time already? I'd better start thinking about what to do for my dinner! When actually it's only around 4pm but it feels much later, and it's not that long ago I was having lunch!
So, what have I been up to that may interest my regular readers? Its funny really when family ask me what have I been doing with my time I always answer "not a lot" and yet I always feel like I've been busy.
I must confess I was away last weekend as my friend Beth invited me to visit her and stay a couple of days at her place. So off I went and had a very nice relaxing weekend being waited on, enjoying nice hot, long showers, and sleeping in a lovely soft full size (single) bed. In short I was thoroughly spoiled! We ate out Sunday at a carvery, (great no washing up) and spent the evenings watching DVD 's Now that's my idea of convalescence! 
Sleeping in a comfy bed brought home to me the shortcomings of my bunk on Bracken. Not so much the width as my bunk isn't much narrower than a normal three foot single bed, but certainly I've been very aware that the foam on my bunk doesn't give much support. Well that has now been rectified with a new four inch thick foam mattress with a one inch memory foam topper and a padded topper on top of it all! It's made all the difference and I don't now climb out every morning with my back aching !
Keeping a check on my gas usage, I'm finding a bottle of propane gas is lasting me approx 4 weeks. I'm not sure how that compares with other live aboards  but considering that my fridge is gas powered, my hot water is gas heated and my cooker is domestic sized  I didn't think that was too bad. I have started turning the pilot out on the water heater overnight to see if it saves any gas. Electricity useage, on the other hand is virtually non existent. I have a microwave, a TV, two table lamps, phone and laptop chargers and a 12 volt trickle charger on the leisure battery and i bet I've not put much more than £20 on the meter since I started!
As for Diesel for the engine, well I tend to run the engine weekly for a half hour or so to move the boat around the marina or to the fuel/gas pontoon and to put some charge in the starter battery but except when Beth and I had a run down the canal back in early October I've not really been far enough to use any fuel. So, so far living costs are fairly low.
I am now burning coal on the fire as well as the usual wooden blocks that Graham finds for me, so that will be an additional expense i'll have to consider.... At present when friends and family say what would you like for Christmas my reply is always "a bag of coal please"!
looking due south, Brackens stern just visible.

We've certainly had some frosty mornings of late, but with crisp, clear blue skies and glorious sunshine as well there's been some stunning views.

Looking north.

close up of frost on my car roof! 


I continue to gain my strength and manage the daily chores, slowly is the way forward, a little at a time and not taking on more than I can manage. I feel very contented with life at the moment, and consider I am so fortunate to be living the life I have, where I am and how I am. Life feels good to me, and if I could find where the smiley's are kept I'd publish a BIG one!!
bfn.

No comments:

Post a Comment