Saturday 1 November 2014

A trip out before my visitors went home.

Thursday 30th October.

My visitors were due to go back to Kent so we thought we'd have one more trip out before they left. After they'd checked out of the Travelodge on the A38 they made their way over to me and I drove us down to the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas. http://www.thenma.org.uk/ lots of information on this link, and  will take you to their website. The NMA is 150 acres of landscaped gardens and memorials to all the men and women who have lost their lives through active service. The centrepiece of the gardens is 'The Wall' where the names of those that lost their lives are inscribed in stone.
I've included a few photos, but they are just a drop in the ocean, if ever you get chance, do go and spend a day there, its a most moving experience.
'The Wall',  if you make your way to the top, inside the enclosure you find.........

Not only this ......

But this sculpture........

and this sculpture.

hundreds of memorials in the grounds.

When you get closer you realise the Marine
is dragging the pack up the hill.....
Lifesize and beautiful sculptures.





After paying our respects in the Arboretum we made our way to the mucky duck (white swan) at Fradley for some lunch, then back to the boat for coffee and a snooze before Bev and Darren left to make their way back to Kent.
It was an exhausting few days for me, but so so good to see them both. "Thank you for coming to see me you pair, and I hope next time you come I will feel up to taking you for a cruise along the cut"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment