Saturday 13 June 2015

And there it was .......gone!

Saturday 13th June.

Its raining, it's been raining all night and I've not had much sleep. The reason being I'm moored under an old Oak tree and the constant rainwater dripping from the tree and landing on two tin jerry-cans was like a child banging on a tin drum! All night!
Now you may wonder why I'm moored under an Oak tree, well in point of fact I am not on my mooring in the Marina as yesterday I moved Bracken down the canal a couple of hundred yards to a wharf where I'd arranged to have Bracken's engine surgically removed.  This is stage one of the operation, remove engine.

Using the overhead gantry and the chain block and tackle, with Bracken positioned underneath, after Matt had disconnected all wires, pipes, propshaft and gearbox connections, the engine was hoisted out leaving a cavernous engine bay empty.

And there it was gone!

Stage Two will be to degrease, and clean the engine bay, and paint it out with bilge paint (white).
On the left of the above picture you can see the gearbox oil cooler with the hoses hanging off. Next to it is the 'skin tank' that is used for engine cooling when you have a water cooled engine. As Bracken's engine was air-cooled the skin tank has never been used. It  could be used though if I decide to get a water-cooled engine. Whatever I get, I'll make sure its a damn sight lighter than the one we removed!
Bracken has always 'sat' very stern down in the water, well without the weight of the 'lump' we removed, Bracken now sits very level in the water, which is nice because now the water drains OFF the draining board into the sink! 


The 'Lump' Minus the gearbox which is still in the engine 'ole


So, I'm moored under a tree because with no engine I'm waiting for friends to come and tow me back to the Marina.
It's not a problem being here for a couple of days as I have 240 volt hook up, but I may have to move the tin Jerry-cans if it continues raining!
bfn.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment