Wednesday 22 October 2014

Sore, stiff, tired, but so happy to be back home on Bracken.

Its Wednesday 22nd Oct.

I know it is because my laptop says so!
Actually if I didn't have the date and day on screen I wouldn't have a clue!
I came out of Derby hospital yesterday, during torrential rain and gale force winds. Full marks to my little sister for braving the elements and driving up and down the A38 to fetch me home, her knuckles gleaming white as she clung on to the steering wheel of her little roller-skate which was being buffeted around by other traffic.
It is sooo good to be back home.
Surgery went well I'm told, the tumour, along with neck muscle, flesh, and the right jugular vein was removed which left quite a cavity. So they took a piece of chest muscle, flesh and skin from the right breast area to make a flap to close off the cavity. This has resulted in my right nipple going south an inch or so but hey it could have been worse. They could have moved the flesh AND the nipple up to my neck!
I have a number of stitches and staples holding me together and a number of nerves have been damaged/removed so parts of my face and neck are numb, this may or may not improve in time. Also the nerve that runs across the shoulder that controls how far you can lift your arm up is also gone. How much mobility I'll be left with in the right arm remains to be seen, but at the moment its pretty good We'll see.
I suppose the 64,000 dollar question is Did they get it all out ??? The answer being - don't know yet.
Time will tell, The next few weeks will be spent recovering, so I may not write the blog as often, I tire easily, and any physical effort leaves me knackered, so its a case of slowly and easy does it till my strength returns.

My family and friends have been incredibly supportive to me with messages, running errands and visiting even whilst up to their ears in their own lives, ie working, house moving, matrimonial problems etc etc and one friend even went to the point of a hundred mile detour in their journey to visit me in Hospital. I count myself very lucky. And also thank you to the readers of this blog who have expressed concern and interest in my well-being and have contacted me by various means. 
I'll write more when i feel up to it.
Bfn.

2 comments:

  1. don't worry mate it won't be long before your pootling about on bracken again! you write a good post Dave! Have you ever thought about writing anything else maybe a story or book is waiting to be written. Anyway, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to say Nephew, but I think maybe you're biased. :)

      Delete