Tuesday 2 June 2015

Return journey.

Listening to the clonking, clattering, and banging of the engine, I seriously doubted whether we would make it back to the marina. However, apart from the noise the engine seemed to throttle ok and the gearbox still functioned in forward and reverse so we set off to the winding hole to turn round and then to slowly begin our journey back.
We got as far as Whittington village when the engine decided it was time to stop, in just about the worst place possible on the approach to a very sharp bend at a very narrow point of the canal.
Some people on a following boat very kindly towed us through the village to a mooring spot where we weren't obstructing the way, and we took the opportunity to do some head scratching, and I phoned Paul (one of my neighbours in the marina), to ask his advice. A couple of days earlier I had jokingly asked if he'd tow me back if I broke down! Not dreaming that the need would arise for real!
Paul drove down to pick me up so's I could get my car, (only a ten minute drive by car) so that Bev and Darren wouldn't be stranded, and we discussed towing Bracken back to the marina the following day.
We needed to move Bracken a little further along the canal so that Paul would have somewhere to wind (turn) his boat round for the tow so I thought I'd try starting the engine and see if we could get a bit further along.
Imagine my surprise when not only did the engine start quite easily but ran fairly quietly and ticked over smoothly! Darren went off in my car to pick up his car key from the hotel, and Bev and I pottered along the canal seeing how much further we could get before the engine gave up on us. We said we'd meet Darren at Fradley Junction if we could make it that far and off we went.
By moving in short hops, travel 30 mins, stop switch off, cool down for 15 mins then travel 30 mins again then stop etc etc we made it back to Fradley to find Darren outside the Mucky duck with a pint of beer in his hand! (allright for some!)
Leaving his car at the pub he worked us up through the locks until eventually we made it back to the Marina to the immense relief of all. (especially Paul.

Bev taking a turn on the tiller. Almost back at the marina.

Once we were back on Bracken's mooring, I drove Bev and Darren back to Fradley to collect their car.  Back on Bracken, I was cold, tired, and hungry so I lit the fire, had a nice hot shower and did myself some dinner. I was soooo relieved to be back home in the marina and just so thankful that I hadn't had to be towed back.
The following day I had someone look and listen to the engine. The verdict is that compression is low on number 1 and number 3 cylinders, and almost no compression on number 2 cylinder.
The chap seems to think the clattering and banging was caused by particles of carbon being trapped under the valves preventing them closing properly, then as the carbon is dispelled the engine goes quiet again. 
As spares are almost non existent for Slanzi engines, and I've never been happy with having to use a blowlamp to start it anyway, I've decided to look at the possibility of changing the engine completely for something more commonplace and maintainable.
So if anyone has a nice cheap BMC going spare let me know.
Meanwhile, I wont be going anywhere, just enjoying living afloat.

On Bev and Darrens last night here we went down to Jenny's for a Chinese takeaway and had a lovely evening of good food and good chat, with no television. Great seeing you pair again.

I think the moral to this story, (if there is one) is if you're thinking of buying a boat on a tight budget, make sure you can get the necessary spares to fix the engine if it goes wrong.

So that brings the Blog more or less up to date now, I promise I'll try and do at least a weekly update in future.  Bfn.



No comments:

Post a Comment