Friday 26 September 2014

A catch up and pottering about.

Friday 26th September.

Gosh almost a week gone by since my last post! I'm still adjusting to the retired lifestyle and feel I should be doing something, anything, so at least at the end of the day I can say "well at least i've accomplished something".
Medical stuff first I suppose, as I have friends and relatives who have an 'interest' so to speak.
I saw the new GP Tuesday and was disapointed to find he has not yet received my notes and scans etc, therefore hadn't a clue about my condition. However, he phoned me later in the day with an appointment for Thursday, (yesterday) to see the ENT dept at the local hospital. (thats Ear, Nose, and Throat).
Nice doctor, had a good feel round my neck and then shoved the camera up my nose and down the back of my throat to have a good look at the site of the first cancer. Not pleasant but I have to say he was a lot more gentle than the last doctor it was done by!
To cut a long story short, I am now waiting to be summoned to Derby oncology dept for what will be more scans and tests prior to surgery to remove as much of the tumour as possible. 
Enough of that for now anyway, this is a boating blog! Innit!!
Jobs done this week? Well, I've aquired the first of 4 planting troughs planned for the roof.
 I thought it would be nice to paint them in 'Bracken' style livery so here is my first attempt
First red round the outside.

Then green inner panel.

Just the beading to do in white. Hopefully the quality of my paintwork will improve by the time I get to number 4 tub. By then of course I should be proficient enough to do the roof!
Another job, inside, whilst dodging a shower of rain has been to wire and fit a 12 volt socket to plug the TV, or phone charger into when not on shore power.

For instance when I pluck up courage to venture out of the marina into the big bad outside world!
Actualy I did go for a cruise round the marina last saturday. I first moved the boat onto the fuel pontoon to put some diesel in the tank and to also change a gas bottle, so I thought whilst the engine is running I'd have a little cruise round the basins. Well its good practise for me at handling Bracken alone, and of course it puts some charge into the batteries, and saves having the battery charger hooked up to the shore power, and of course its good fun!
Talking of starting the engine- another job this week has been to fit a push button switch in the engine bay so's I can start the engine with the blow lamp in one hand and press the newly fitted starter switch with the other hand. Simples! 
All I did was run a new live wire from the starter battery, through the new push button switch to the starter solenoid. This way I don't need 8 feet long arms to put the blowlamp to the air intake whilst turning the ignition key! Works a treat!

Looks a bit heath robinson at present, it'll look better when the switch is mounted on a plate. The wire is only energising the solenoid so is not carrying a large load and the button is only pressed for a few seconds whilst the engine fires up. Wonderful thing blowlamps!
Well that's about it for now, speak later.




2 comments:

  1. It is a boating blog Dave, but it is also you life, says Les, and people who read and follow your blog will be interested in your health as well. We are sending positive thoughts for better news and a good outcome for you.
    Jaq and Les
    NB Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words both. Best wishes, :-)

      Delete